Sunday, December 9, 2012

Inching closer...



I've been doing this series for a little over a year now with the focus on people in the NYC subway system... And I feel the need to change things up a little... We'll see how that goes...

I picked this image because it shows well what I want to do with this series... Show people in the environment of the subway system... With all their emotions...



This is back to my usual set up... My favorite lens, a good spot and good timing when people just stream out of the arriving trains...


More shot within moments of the one before...


And more... The moment of temporary disorientation when stepping off the train...


With intent...


Familiar?


Union Square was my first big hub station when I first moved to the city... 9-11 memorial...


Old Union Square decal...


Pulled back some...


On the S train from Grand Central to Times Square... Next car was blue... Neat!


A quiet corner at Times Square station...


A little pink to break the monotony...


Thinking...


I really appreciate the look of worn down things...
 

Copyright by Joe, I guess...


In a mood...


Champion! (It says so!)


Saturday night, Times Square! 


Faces could be from the sixties... 


Triangle of red objects...  


Careful there!


Showing the way...


 Cool hat!


A lonely place at Times Square station...


Mysterious... This animal pattern seems to be en vogue...


Fixing the tracks; thank you!


Reminds me of the Frankenstein movie with De Niro...


That kind of weather...


Variations in green and blue...


High density...


Modern looking...


Man with a plan!


I'm ready!!!


Testing grounds... ;)


New signage! Very pretty... Curious how long it's going to last...


Still strange to me that the flag is on those cars... Cannot imagine that in Germany... For a local subway that is... We're not talking about a plane that could leave the physical space of it's country...


I guess that's one of the qualities of this lens: Holding objects in time... (Obviously that is the point of photography... But this focal length - as it is a little longer - seems to have more of that quality...)


Composition exercises... Lines and a circle...


In discussion...


Glad that I can select if I want to use a color or BW version of these images... Obvious choice here! 


Going it together...


Neat to see equipment from different times used together... Fresnel lenses do remind me of old, big, tungesten movie lights...


One of the rare cases that pre-focusing worked out for me... ;) 


Yep... 96 Street!


Taking the bike for a spin...


Both are already using i-products... 


Hard life... Not sure why I think that in this case: They both seem happy enough...


Up... Or at least alert!


For some reason I like those rain patterns a lot...


I had to massage this file a little more than usual... But I do like it now!


Group dynamic...


Off center...


Weird perspective... Not sure why I was up when shooting this... Or precisely where...
 

Rock star hair! 


Love it!


Handing out pamphlets with conviction... 


Looking back... Or forward?


Mushy light... Worked this time though...


Contrasts...


I must admit, those iPod ads are a great backdrop...


Still are!



Interestingly and luckily enough I ran into an "old" friend of mine at the 42 Street station... I was asking people if I could take their picture... Luckily she agreed... :)



Good bye then!

No comments:

Post a Comment